Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Star Trek: The Key Collection, Volume 4

Normally, I wouldn't start reading something in the middle of a run unless I had a good reason. I'm big on continuity and I hate to read something and then have a cliffhanger which I don't have the following issue to complete the story. But the Gold Key books of the 1960s and 70s were single issue stories- no multiparters here. Also, to obtain some of the earlier issues would cost me an arm and a leg. For example on the online site for Mile High Comics, a fine issue of Star Trek #3 sells for $101!

   So it's reprints for me!

   I found this volume at a local comics show for only $5. Containing 8 issues, that was less than a dollar a book and way cheaper than the combined price of about $150 bucks if I were to buy all the issues online. I also bought volume 5 at the show and since there are 3 more books in this series, I should be able to have a run of the first 40 or so books for a very reasonable amount of money.

    It wasn't an official standard practice to give credits to artists and writers until the late 70s. While DC and Marvel were already doing this when these Gold Key books were published, not every publisher gave credit when and where it was due. None of these issues boast a credit so I haven't a clue who were behind these stories nor can I determine who to praise for the gems and who to blame for the stinkers.

    The art was of near superior quality for a Silver Age licensed work. Most comics based on live action shows contained artwork to looked nowhere near to the actors they were representing. That's not so here. Kirk, Spock, McCoy, Uhura, and sometimes Scotty were drawn in a near photo-realistic style. Well- except for one thing- the ears on Spock were enormous. They were drawn to look like they covered 3/4 of his head. I know Vulcans have big ears, but this was ridiculous. Artwork of the various alien races were quite good as well and the rendering of the Enterprise was stunning.

   The coloring was hit and miss. Sometimes you'd see one of the crew members wearing the wrong color tunic. I noticed that in the mistakes, you'd see one crew member wearing the right color and the other crew member inked in the same color as their colleague. For example, there was a panel in which Bones and Scotty were sitting together and they both wore science officer blues. I'm wondering if these color mistakes were a cost saving measure. Nonetheless, it was a little irritating to me.

    The stories ranged from 'The Trouble With Tribbles' good to 'Spock's Brain' bad. 'Dwarf Planet' in which Scotty is hit with s shrink ray and the clone saga 'The Perfect Dream' were the best in this collection. The mutant uprising story 'Ice Journey' was horrid. I suggest you skip that tale. One problem all issues had were that the last couple of panels attempted to be humorous like the final scene of each episode of classic Trek but the jokes mostly fell flat and the endings were quite awkward.

    Regardless of some of the nits I have about the books in this series, the overall book was an enjoyable tale and this work is a welcome addition to my Star Trek comics collection

    Worth Consuming

    Rating: 8 out of 10 stars.


No comments:

Post a Comment