Thursday, April 23, 2015

Teen Titans Go! #1 (First Series, Library Edition)


  


 Before Teen Titans Go! was Teen Titans Go!? Huh???

   Before Cartoon Network revived the animated heroes with the 15-minute long minisode series Teen Titans Go!, Robin, Cyborg, Beast Boy, and the rest had a number adventures on the TV series Teen Titans. In order to not confuse young readers and fans of the cartoon with the older teen rated Teen Titans comic, DC titled their adaptation of the 2003 series Teen Titans Go!

    Now, I wasn't a big fan of the original show. I thought the art was too much like anime, of which I am not the hugest fan. But with the new series which I think is very funny and incredibly silly, I've decided to branch out and give the original series a go.

    Since I don't have access to any of the original episodes on DVD just yet, my next best option was to check out some library edition issues from my favorite source to get some free reads- the Orange County, NC library. In case you are wondering, a library edition is a hardbacked single copy of an original issue. It also contains a glossary of certain words as well as discussion questions for students and the occasional writing exercise.  In this, the premiere issue, the Titans are playing a new video game when they are attacked by the students of the HIVE Academy.

   Unlike a collection of Free Comic Book Day editions of this series, this comic features all-new artwork as well as an original story and not slides from a previously aired episode. I appreciate that as I think issuing a picto-comic of a repeat as a cop-out and a scam to get money for little to no work or effort. The tale was still a little too anime (or, in this case, manga) for my tastes but I still enjoyed this issue. Especially the twist ending.

   Worth Consuming

   Rating: 8 out of 10 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment