Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Avengers, Volume 4: AVX


 

 Having read quite a bit of Bendis' post-AVX X-Men titles, I was already quite familiar with the events of that massive crossover event. So, this volume wasn't something I was afraid that I would be lost reading. Normally, I'd wait to read the crossover event first but I really wanted to get my hands on volume 5 and 6 of this Avengers series real soon. 

   Often when a book features tie-ins to a crossover event, they have very little to do with the actual event that they are referencing. That's not the case here as the fight between mutant and Avenger is rendered in exciting four-color action. 


   In this volume, the Phoenix force is back and it's heading to earth. The X-Men feel that this is a sign of the restoration of mutant race decimated by the Scarlett Witch during the House of M event.The Avengers, recalling previous deadly encounters with the Phoenix Force, are preparing for the worst and are looking to take the entity out before it hits the earth. So when a space mission to intercept the Phoenix goes wrong, Earth's Mightiest Heroes learn that they've got a mole working for an even bigger intergalactic threat.


    Another masterpiece by Bendis. These issues help to fill in important gaps that the AVX miniseries couldn't devote appropriate time to. (Okay, I'm guessing here since I've not read AVX but based on previous experiences with this sort of thing, I feel confident in my assessment.) The plotting was quite good and the art was excellent. It had an almost painted quality that made the characters look realistic and gritty. 


    Now if I just can get my hands on AVX... 


    Worth Consuming


    Rating: 9 out of 10 stars.


No comments:

Post a Comment