Saturday, June 25, 2016

Adventures of Supergirl #4

  Supergirl continues to investigate just who really is behind all of the attacks on her and her friends. Along with her adopted sister Alex Danvers, Kara ventures down to the Fort Rozz crash site looking for clues. There, the sisters are attacked by Kryptonian security-bots, supposedly left over from the crash landing. But when Supergirl finds a hidden chamber filled with images of her time on earth, her suspicions are confirmed: The Girl of Steel is being watched!

   I actually read this issue twice. I wasn't so happy with it and I felt that that just couldn't be right. The past 3 issues had been winners and I refused to believe that this chapter was a stinker. Thankfully, a quick re-read helped tune me in to some clues that I had been overlooking or I saw them and just couldn't make a connection at first glance. This ended up being a very good issue though I'm really getting impatient for the climatic ending of this storyline.

    The cover by Cat Staggs was another home run. The interior artwork by Carmen Carnero (Swamp Thing) was very good as well. Though Supergirl still doesn't look like her TV counterpart yet, there does seem to be a little more favoring of Melissa Benoist in some panels. But the renderings of the security robots were spot on from the series and the action scenes with the mystery antagonist really jumps off the page.

   Speaking of things jumping, I don't want to give away a major spoiler but there was a scene that actually scared the bejeezus outta me. You know in those horror flicks where someone looks out a dark window and it's empty and then they do something and then BAM!- there's the villian looking out the window scarying the crap out of both the character on screen and the aduience? Well, this book has the sequential art version of such a frightening scene. Again I don't want to give away the scare but when it happens, oh, my God, will it freak you out!

   Worth Consuming

   Rating: 9 out of 10 stars.


   

No comments:

Post a Comment