Thursday, September 6, 2018

Black Hammer Volume 1: Secret Origins

I had been hearing a lot of good things about this series Black Hammer. After some patient waiting at my local library, I was finally able to get a chance to read the first volume. Holy Cow! This Jeff Lemire property is amazing!

A group of superheroes find themselves stranded in a small town on an earth that is not their own after a confrontation with a powerful being. Imagine if Captain Marvel was stuck forever as a 10-year old child! What if Batman got old and complacent? Ponder at the thought that  Adam Strange couldn't stop being sent back and forth through time thanks to those pesky zeta beams, and consider if the Martian Manhunter was a closet homosexual. That is the crux of Black Hammer and it's one of the best super hero comics I have read in a very long time!

Writer/creator Jeff Lemire claims in the back of this collection, that Black Hammer is a love letter to the comics he read growing up. I clearly can see that. I'm usually the one pointing out how some is an homage to comics. I'm glad that a professional is doing it for me for once. 

The artwork by Dave Ormston is so much like Paul Pope's art that it's scary. Are you sure they aren't the same person? 

I've got to have volume 2. I also need the spin-off series Sherlock Frankenstein. I can't wait to know what happens next. Dark Horse has really got an masterpiece on their hands. If you are looking for a superhero book that follows certain tropes but also breaks all the rules, Black Hammer is what you have been looking for!

Worth Consuming!

Rating: 10 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment