Monday, September 17, 2018

Project Superpowers #0 (2018)

There are some things you just don't pass up. A new release comic book for only 10 cents is one of those things. 

This is the latest series from Dynamite Entertainment based on a number of forgotten superheroes from long defunct comic book publishers of the 1940s and 50s. However, this is also first one without Alex Ross at the helm.

Being a huge Alex Ross fan, you would think that I would be all over the Project Superpowers books. But I just didn't for one reason or another. I think the biggest reason is that I felt that Project Superpowers was too much like Marvel's The Twelve in that a bunch of forgotten heroes are revived in the modern day. 

Maybe I hitched my wagon to the wrong cart. But I liked The Twelve. I have no regrets.

This teaser into the new Project Superpowers series, this time helmed by Suicide Squad's Rob Williams sees a once thought dead hero returning to warn an ally of an impending doom. This introductory issue does it's job quite well. It acts as a small teaser of the story to come while offering a lot of vital backstory. 

This book also did it's job in at least one other way. While I don't think I am going to go for the rest of this series, I am interested in finding the first and maybe second series by Alex Ross. So, there's a bit of a win there. 

My LCS had 3-4 more of these 10 cent beauties. I would imagine that a lot of stores have some issues still on hand. Not because this wasn't a good read. It was. But it's like I say to start this review- you can't pass up a 10 cent comic. So I expect that many stores ordered big on this. 

A very good introductory read. While it may not make you want to invest in the current series, it will make you want to dive more into the back issues which has since been collected as hard covers and trades.

Worth Consuming!

Rating: 9 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment