Wednesday, September 12, 2018

The Legion of Regrettable Supervillains (Loot Crate Edition)


The Legion of Regrettable Supervillains is a celebration of the most unusual, oddball super-villains to ever be put to 4-color print. Well, almost. This book has been on my wish list for quite some time. I just never got it for myself or as a gift. Then one day at a thrift store, I found this: the Loot Crate Edition.

This edition of only focuses on 50 awfully crafted baddies. (More like 60 if you count a couple of sections that focus on multiple adversaries of similar theme.) The regular edition is much bigger, covering roughly 150 entries.

Despite the size of the book, I couldn't pass it up eitherway. The thrift store price was certainly right at only $1! I finally decided that I would read this digest version in order to decide if I should go for the full Monty.

I'm actually glad I went the way I did. The author Jon Morris, is considered a comic book historian with a long running blog devoted to forgotten comic books and their characters. While I enjoyed his factual narrative, sometimes Morris got just a little too tongue in cheek at times with some very corny jokes.

I also managed to get the Loot Crate Edition of his companion piece, The League of of Regrettable Superheroes, for that sweet price of $1. I'm only a few pages into it. But it reads in a more serious tone that is more delightful to read.

While I doubt that the full edition of The Legion of Regrettable Supervillains is due to become a part of my collection, (unless I find it for a tremendous bargain), I plan on keeping this book. There's a lot of excellent information in here and as a comic book historian myself, this will make a potentially good reference book for future readings, reviews and composition of articles. I just wish that the commentary was a little more dry.

Worth Consuming.

Rating: 7 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment