Sunday, September 9, 2018

Tales of the Bizarro World


Growing up, I loved reading my dad's old Superman Comics. To me, I always felt that the Man of Tomorrow had some of the best villains... The Parasite, Brainiac, that ape with Kryptonite eyes... But the one that always was a delight was Bizarro! A faulty duplicate of the Man of Steel, Bizarro always got things wrong. 

Ugly was considered beautiful. The Earth was supposed to be square, not round. Prisoners broke into jail- not out. That kind of stuff.

This book collects the original 15 back stories that ran in the early 1960s in the pages of Adventure Comics. A couple I had read as a kid and a couple I had read sometime in the last year. I seem to have started this book and when I came to the Halloween issue, I stopped to wait to read it when the holiday came around. And then I forgot all about it until almost a year later. In some ways, I too was Bizarro in my reading of this volume.

Another childhood favorite Superman villain of mine, Mr. Mxyzptlk is featured here. (I love how I still know how to spell his name without looking it up- as long as I do it phonetically.) That imp from the Fifth Dimension has a Bizarro counterpart roaming around a couple of these tales. Instead of creating mischief, this fella tries to do good deeds. 

Along with a good Lex Luthor, who was a refreshing take on the one Superman character I have actually grown tired of over the years, this was a really great read from long ago. I only wish there was a Bizarro Brainaic who would try to put cities into the Bizarro World, and watch the chaos of urban development!

Featuring some Superman legends of the DC bullpen including Jerry Seigel, Curt Swan, and Wayne Boring, I love the cover done by Love and Rockets' Jaime Hernandez.

Worth Consuming!

Rating: 9 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment