Saturday, September 29, 2018

The Joker/Daffy Duck Special #1

The Joker/Daffy Duck Special rounds out my completion of DC/Looney Tunes Wave 2. This one was the one I least expected to enjoy (though I really loved the variant cover and used it as my FB avatar for a while.) Yet, I was for the most part pleasantly surprised.

The art was probably my least favorite aspect of this special. Norm Rapmund and Brett Booth's artwork was quite frenzied and for a Joker adventure, that works very well. but Daffy looks freaky. I know that ducks have these little parts on their bill that are referred to as teeth. Yet, seeing Daffy with a full mouth full of pearly whites is just unsettling.

The story itself was very well written. Daffy treks to Gotham City to see why the Acme Company hasn't filled his latest order of gags. Turns out that Acme has been closed for years and is now the hideout of the Joker!

Normally the Clown Prince of Crime would just off anyone who trespasses on his turf. But Daffy manages to talk his way into becoming the villain's new capo. It's merely a ruse to buy himself some time to escape. but Daffy actually turns out to be pretty good at his job.

I didn't like the ending. I didn't really think it was all that fair towards poor Daffy. But overall, the opening story was entertaining.

I wish I could tell you about the back-up feature. But it was really forgettable. Done in the Looney Tunes style, I cannot for the life of me remember if the Joker or Daffy are even in this Joey Cavaleri penned tale.

Wait a minute!!! I seem to recall Daffy posing as a psychologist at Arkham and he's analyzing the Joker... Still, it's a little cloudy. But if it's not that memorable, it must not have been all that great.

Wow. what a way to end a special. This one's going to be tough to rate. Unfortunately, the back-up tale is going to weigh this book down. But I still recommend this to fans of DC and Merry Melodies because the first story was pretty decent for the most part.

Worth Consuming!

Rating: 7 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment