Saturday, September 29, 2018

Harley Quinn/Gossamer Special #1


Gossamer- that fuzzy orange monster that always grabs Bugs Bunny and says that he’s gonna ‘hug him, squeeze hi, and call him George.’ That’s the Looney Tunes character that is starring in the DC/Looney Tunes crossover with the Joker’s EX-Girlfriend Harley Quinn. Most people recognize Gossamer but don’t remember his name. That’s kinda how I felt when I read that Harley was pairing up with Gossamer. I couldn’t for the life of me figure out who this Mortimer was. But once I saw the cover, I was like ‘so that’s his name.’

The story takes place right after a hurricane is bearing down on Harley’s home turf of Cooney Island. In hopes of accessing the damage, Harley Quinn stumbles across a crate that had washed ashore and immediately calls dibs! Inside the crate Gossamer and he’s hungry. Just as the monster about to eat every hot dog on Coney Island, a massive robot attacks Harley and her new friend.

Just who’s behind this attack? Well, the answer to that question isn’t that hard. There’s big giant smiley face painted on the robot! Harley and Gossamer do NOT like being shot at. Boy, o-boy is Mistah J gonna get it!

You know they saying ‘how can I miss you if you won’t go away?’ That is how I felt about this opening yarn. A big deal was made of both Jimmy Palmiotti and Amanda Conner leaving Harley Quinn after such a lengthy title run. Yet, they’re both back only like 2-3 months after their retirement. I know that DC wanted me to be in awe of their return in this special. But the husband and wife team weren’t gone long enough to feel like I needed to welcome them back. Harley’s co-creator Paul Dini has been away long enough from his creation that any time he returns to do a story about The Maid of Mischief, it feels fresh, edgy, and new. Why didn’t DC have him do the opening story?

The second story was done in the Looney Tunes style. It’s an almost exact clone of the Merry Melodies cartoon Hair-Raising Hare. In that 1946 cartoon, Bugs Bunny is lured to Gossamer’s master’s evil lair and hi-jinx ensues. Replace Bugs will Harley, add a little bit of her psychological background and you’ve got this insane romp.

I was excited about a Harley Quinn special. But I just don’t recognize this Harley very well- YET. I’m a classic Harley, in the classic suit kind of guy. Why I was even a little stunned at the sexual banter between Harley and Poison Ivy. I had heard of such a relationship between the two but never personally witnessed it until in this comic. Not being anti-same sex relationship here. No, it’s just that the rumor became fact and I didn’t expect it in this book.

These crossovers are rated Teen. But you know that a lot of parents are going to share these with their kids. If you think about it, this story is the first time Looney Tunes addresses homosexuality and gender without making a joke out of it as they had for decades. Don’t believe me? Watch any Bugs Bunny and Elmer Fudd cartoon made before 1980. At some point, Bugs will dress up as a woman, seduce Elmer, and then make fun of the hapless hunter for kissing a guy!

An interesting read with hints of humor that at the bottom of it. More probably if you know who these supporting characters of Harley’s are. This issue will make you have to have a dialogue about Harley’s life and loves. Especially if read with younger readers. I didn’t know Looney Tunes was so edgy. I guess when you take away the smoking guns and carrots, you’ve got to tackle heavier stuff…

Worth Consuming!

Rating: 7 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment