Friday, October 5, 2018

The Thrilling Adventure Hour #1

I read this issue a couple of months ago. I could have sworn that I had reviewed it back then as well. Yes after an exhaustive search, I cannot find evidence of ever have given my opinion on this first issue from Boom! Studios. So forgive me if I repeat myself. But hey,  just in time for Halloween, right?

The Thrilling Adventure Hour is about a married couple of semi-professional mediums/ghost hunters. Frank and Sadie Doyle seem better suited as mixologists than ghost busters. In fact, they don't even seem to fit this more modern time period.

Most modern comic book readers are not familiar with The Thin Man series of comedy mystery films. The Thin Man movies focused on Nick and Nora Charles; a wealthy couple who were amateur sleuths. They had this rapid fire dialogue thing going on that was absolutely brilliant. Plus with their smarmy attitude towards everyone and everything, you weren't quite sure if Nick and Nora thought that the world was their own private little sandbox.

When it comes to the Doyles, I have a theory. In this issue, Frank and Sadie agree to help an interracial couple whose new new home is supposedly haunted. Now you might be thinking as to why must I point out that the couple of different races. It's 2018, I should be agreeable to this sort of thing in American society. Well, I am. But the Doyles don't seem to be. In fact when Frank and Sadie first meet their new clients, they are taken aback by the mixed race couple. Thus I think the Doyles are ghosts!

Think about it. They can see and communicate with spirits. They appear more suited for the 1930s. And the Doyles don't understand social norms. It's just a crazy idea, but I think there's a Sixth Sense twist going on here.

A darling opening chapter in which I am eager to read the rest of the story. A comic/horror triumph by the writing/illustrating team of Ben Acker and Ben Blacker!

Worth Consuming!

Rating: 9 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment