Sunday, October 28, 2018

Kid Death & Fluffy Halloween Special #1

I am in no way familiar with the main character of Kid Death. He's a boy of 12 or so. He looks a lot like Sylvester P. Smythe, the janitor mascot of the long defunct Cracked Magazine. And he likes to kill and maim! Kid Death also has a pet dog named Fluffy. The dog is also quite ripe; having been dead for some time. And he's got a very dumb and very busty sister named Bubbles.

Everything I just described was what I gleamed from reading this Halloween special. My God, what have I read???

The story of this issue is as follows... Kid Death has to go to a Halloween party with his sister. It's being held the funeral home that a friend of Kid Death's sister's family owns. At the local funeral home, business is booming. That's because the owners are killing townsfolk and then charging a literal arm and leg for burial expenses. Will Kid Death, his dead dog and brain-dead sister make it out alive? Our serial killing gravediggers have no idea just who they've let in their doors.

I found this book over the summer in a bargain bin. I thought the (variant) cover by Jimmy Palmiotti (Harley Quinn) and John Cebollero was kinda cool. Kid Death is giving some classic horror monsters the biz. But this is one of those times where you never should judge a book by it's cover. 

This special from the Event Comics was as they used to say in 1990s Southern Baptist churches: it's was rude, crude, and social unexceptionable. Some Halloween special can be enjoyed by a wide array of age grows. That's true even if the book isn't rated All Ages. But that is not the case here. This Halloween comic is very gory. It's quite gross. And it's filled with some right-wing, anti-Semitic, anti-Catholic, and pro-pedophilic imagery. 

I'm sure that the creators behind this book from 1997 aren't really deep down racists. No- I haven't unraveled a Comicsgate conspiracy. This book was created over 20 years ago, during the height of Palmiotti and best bud (and regular cover artist) Joe Quesada's immature period. People change over time. Heck, I've actually started liking Joe Q after years of bashing the guy when he was in charge of Marvel. 

Speaking of change, 20 years ago, I might have been fawning all over this special. But I've mature a tiny bit and this book was just ick... So disappointed in this. After reading, I feel like I need to take a shower. 

Not Worth Consuming and no longer a part of my collection.

Rating: 2 out of 10 stars.


No comments:

Post a Comment