Friday, September 9, 2022

Sky Island: A Trot & Cap'n Bill Adventure (Family Comic Friday)

Trot and Cap'n Bill and Grandpa are back! 

In their first adventure, the trio traveled the briny depths to end a war between sea sirens and sea serpents. This time around, they stick mostly to dry land by exploring a mysterious abandoned amusement park called Sky Island. One of Trot's Sea Siren friends has gone missing. The only clue is a boat patrolling the area bearing the logo of the old park. With help from old allies and a new friend, the search is on!

I really loved this book. I had forgotten that the sirens had presented Cap'n Bill with a special gem that gives him the ability to talk. Bill is such a hilarious character. And writer Amy Chu (Poison Ivy: Circle of Life and Death) does such a fantastic job writing him. I can very much see my household of cats doing some of the silly things he does, like get distracted by a small critter when they should be performing a major task.

I've got to make a confession. I skipped to the end of the book to make sure Bill survived. I just hate it when sweet little anthropomorphic animals get hurt or killed in a comic or graphic novel. It just rips my heart in two; probably because it reminds me of my guys. But I didn't spoil the ending!

Trot and Cap'n Bill is a modern remake of a pair of little known L. Frank Baum novels. Only in those books, Bill was an old sailor with a peg leg instead of a cat. Trot is still a brilliant little girl. But in the remake, both Trot and her grandfather are Vietnamese refugees living in coastal California. 

As much as I have loved both books, I fear that I might not be a third book. While Trot and Cap'n Bill appeared in about half a dozen books, most of them are part of the Oz series. I'm not sure if those Baum books are under public domain or the licensed property of MGM or some other company. But if they are, is this the end of Trot and Cap'n Bill adventures? I really, REALLY hope not.

Sky Island was an adventuresome read that made me laugh several times. The artwork is brilliant and lively. Those sea serpents are so cute. Janet K. Lee's (Diary of a Mad Scientist Garden Gnome) art almost makes me a fan of snakes. ALMOST...

Another aspect that is rather enjoyable is how real things are. I'm not talking about the mermaids or sea serpents. I'm talking about how frank and honest Amy Chu is about Grandpa's dementia or the hardships Trot's new friend encountered when she lost her father's property after he passed. Amy Chu is a realist but she's not a fatalist. I think kids need to know that while life is hard and not fair; it's also good and full of hope. And Amy Chu delivers this message perfectly!

A must for fans of cats, the ocean and L. Frank Baum! Here's to a 3rd book in the very near future!

Worth Consuming!

Rating: 9 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment