Monday, September 19, 2022

Marvel Comics Presents #163

Issue #164 appears to be full of promise as 3 segments come to a close in this issue. 

If you recall what I said in my review of the last issue, the Vengeance/Diabolique story has been straddling the line between chilling thriller and occult horror that I just can't stand reading. Well, the finale crossed that line and scared the hell outta me. If you ask me, I don't think that this is the last we've seen of evil little Diabolique. That prospect is going to keep me up at night...

The New Warriors story ends with a pleasing guest cameo from a bizarre and rarely seen member of the FF Family. It was a great story if only for the inclusion of Slapstick, the Living Cartoon. I'm more than willing to give this era's New Warriors regular series a read in hopes it captured just a fraction of the insanity and laughs. 

As for the Mace story, it ended on an uptick. The middle two chapters had been rather cliched what with ninjas and clones and such. But the ending added a depth of mystery missing since the introductory chapter. Still, it wasn't enough to turn my into a fan.

Tigra's story rounds out the quartet. The former Avenger has taken refuge in the Australian Outback and everything seems idyllic. That is until a group of mercenaries arrives at the village that houses Tigra and kidnaps most of the population. Now Tigra is on the hunt for her missing 'kinsmen'.

The plot of the Tigra story doesn't really do anything for me. But that John Czop (New Warriors) artwork is just breathtaking. Pretty risque stuff for 1994 Marvel Comics.

2 great stories come to an end here. A third story at least comes to a thankful end. And the 4th is at least a feast for the eyes. Overall, it's a good read. But I can't wait to see what the next issue brings with 3 all new stories waiting in the wings.

Worth Consuming!

Rating: 7 out of 10 stars. 

No comments:

Post a Comment