Sunday, September 18, 2022

Marvel Comics Presents #162

The lone segment that is brand new stars the former Avenger, Tigra. Having found a new home in the Australian outback, the bikini-clad hero has become a defacto leader of a tribe of indigenous peoples. She'll hopefully become their savior when a group of guerrillas arrives and enslaves a good chunk of the village population.

The Vengeance story continues to chill me to my very core. The demonic moppet known as Diabolique is pretty uh, well, demonic. We learn that while her green pal Playmate is technically her servant, Diabolique is servant to an ancient Persian evil...

I love the New Warriors story. Slapstick is a great addition to it. The time bending properties of the villain is awesome. The banter is hilarious. Art is excellent. I just love everything about this story.

When it comes to the story about Mace, the cloned ninja assassin, I've gotten bored with it. Just seems like every clone action movie story that floated around in the early 90s. I'll be glad when this one ends.

If Slapstick would have joined the New Warriors around this time period, I'd probably be adding those books to my wish list. While the Living Cartoon does eventually become a New Warrior, it's not until later on and probably not as hilarious as this story starring Slapstick has been.

I like the Vengeance story. It's a horror tale that is a good scare. Demons and that sort of terror isn't really my thing and Diabolique is just barely tolerable. If things get more evil, I probably will find my enjoyment of this story start to 180. Plus, that big baddie reveal; I feel it's taken some inspiration from Stephen King's It...

As for the Tigra story, the narrative is still building. But that artwork by John Czop (New Warriors) is, well, I like to think of myself as a gentleman. Put it this way, if you remember the Marvel Swimsuit Specials of the 90s, then you'll get my drift with how Czop has illustrated the very slinky Tigra. It's very risque stuff for a Comics Code approved work.

Worth Consuming.

Rating: 7 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment