Monday, November 28, 2022

Batman: Noel (A Madman Re-Read)

When I first read this book, it was 2012. The copy was property of my local library. I wrote up a review as I normally do. Then I apparently forgot all about it.

I think it was last year or maybe 2020, when DC Comics reissued this Gotham City take on Dicken's A Christmas Carol. My favorite comic book shop held me a copy just in case I needed it for my collection; which I did. I recalled having read this holiday graphic novel as I remembered coming across my review in the database of my blog. Yet, I still couldn't remember anything about this book.

During the past couple of weeks, I've been re-cataloging my comic book collection. With it being the holidays, I decided to tackle my Christmas and Thanksgiving books for a while. It's where I came back across this book. Noticing that I hadn't even taken this hardcover out of it's protective plastic wrap, I decided it was time to stop having my mind come to a total blank when I try to remember what occurred.

Batman: Noel retells the story of Ebeneezer Scrooge with Batman in the miser role. As Batman tracks down his arch enemy, the Joker, the Dark Knight is visited by a trio of characters that represent his past, present and future. 

The Bob Cratchit role is played by a down on his luck father who joined the Joker's gang in hopes of raising some cash to bring his crippled son, Timothy, some holiday cheer. However, when the cash drop goes horribly wrong, Bob and his son will find themselves stuck in the middle of a final showdown between two mortal enemies on Christmas Eve, of all times and places!

The artist behind this graphic novel is the amazing Lee Bermejo (Joker). I've been enthralled by his work for a very long time. His covers are so detailed and lifelike. It is hard to believe that Lee Bermejo is self-taught. If anyone can draw Batman as a living, breathing entity, it's Bermejo. Batman: Noel marks Bermejo's writing debut and I think he knocked it out of the park. I just can't understand why I forgot having read this book previously.

I know I've read a lot of comic books in the past. But usually, if I've forgotten having read something previously, I wind up at some point finally remembering it. Not this time. This makes me wonder if when 2032 comes around that I'm going to have to read this festive fight fest again just to jog my memory. 

A gritty holiday fable that doesn't disappoint.

Worth Consuming!

Rating: 9 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment