Friday, November 11, 2022

Magic Pickle (Family Comic Friday)

I've had this book sitting on my to-read pile for a very long time. I got this book during my days of volunteering at a dollar book warehouse. So it's been with me for maybe 5 years and I am really kicking myself for having waited so long!

Sometime in the 1950s or 60s, a scientist accidentally dropped the pickle he was having for lunch into some chemicals. As a result, the brined cucumber became sentient and Weapon Kosher was born! Over time, the scientist developed a whole army of veggie superheroes. Unfortunately, these guys all turned evil and went into hiding. As a result, Weapon Kosher was put into cryo-freeze with the hopes that where the bad produce returned, the Magic Pickle would be there to save the day.

It's now the modern day and Weapon Kosher's slumber has been interrupted. He wakes up to find himself in the bedroom of young JoJo Wigman, an elementary school child whose house was built over the science lab facility that gave birth to Magic Pickle! JoJo is indignant that there's now a giant hole in her bedroom floor. But she's thrilled to become a part of a secret world of science, superheroes and evil vegetables. And whether Weapon Kosher likes it or not, the Magic Pickle has a new sidekick!

The book was brilliantly written. Funny and smart. The artwork, especially of the produce, was dynamic, brooding and inked to a point, that they literally all jump off the page!

Magic Pickle is part Captain America and part Veggie Tales and 100% pure fun! I laughed and chuckled so many times. I was something that I didn't want to see end!

The fun actually extends past the main story as there is a bonus story in which the Magic Pickle takes on the threat of the Loconut! Plus, there's a section on how to draw the characters of this story. I thought the Loconut tale was just great. The art lesson, however, was just a little too off-the-wall for my tastes. A story about a pickle with super powers and the how-to section was the part that was too silly? Yes- but it's because of how unlike an art instructional article this section was that I thought it was just too much.

I personally, didn't get my fill of Magic Pickle. I've researched and there appears to be at least 4 other books in the series. Amazon seems to have most of them. I'm hoping my local library has more copies. Either way, I'm getting my hands on some more of this Scott Morse (Plastic Man) creation in the very near future.

And with a character named Weapon Kosher, might I recommend a Hanukkah volume? As a fan of holiday comics and graphic novels, I would definitely buy a copy of that- NEW!

This is a book that will make the kiddies want to finish all their vegetables!

Worth Consuming!

Rating: 9 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment