Monday, November 21, 2022

Post Halloween Left Over Thanksgiving Special #1

More Halloween than Thanksgiving, this excessively long-titled book features early work by Art Baltazar and Franco! 

The Post Halloween Left Over Thanksgiving Special stars Baltazar's character of Cray-Baby and Franco's assortment of monster characters that occupy the town of Weirdsville. I'm not really sure what Cray-Baby is. To me, I thought it was more of a twist on that Bat Boy character from the Weekly World News. Added to the mix is Chris Yambar's Mr. Beat, a sort of beatnik that is kinda a father figure to other characters.

Of the 3, Mr. Beat was my least popular. Not because I'm a devotee of Baltazar and Franco and thus biased. I am on both. My disdain of Mr. Beat is because of his liberal use of the R-word. Yes, I know this book came out over 20 years ago and things were different enough for it to be 'okay to say' the R-word. But I still don't like it. 

Only 2 stories are Thanksgiving themed. Although one might not be the case at all. That questionable story has a witch on the hunt for a young boy with a pumpkin for a head. She wants very much to make a pumpkin pie out of it. Pumpkin pie is very much a Thanksgiving staple, so that's why I consider it a Thanksgiving event. 

The second Turkey Day tale is called 'Franksgiving'. Here, Frankenstein's monster is on a rampage until a kind family invites him to Thanksgiving dinner. A silent tale. I really enjoyed its twist ending. 

The majority of the vignettes and shorts were funny. For a Thanksgiving special, I wish there was more Thanksgiving. But I guess it's better than nothing.

Worth Consuming!

Rating: 8 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment