Thursday, December 14, 2023

A Hard Candy Christmas: Advent 2023, DAY 14


There are these creatures in Doctor Who, called the Silence, where if you stop looking at them, you forget that they even exist. That's kinda how I feel about today's featured candy. I'm talking about Gum Drop Nougats. 


Gum Drops are the trapezoidal candies that are slightly harder than a gummi bear. They come in flavors of lemon, cherry and lime; often sold as ZOTS. However, during Christmas, companies make a spiced flavor that has components of cinnamon, clove and ginger. These guys are typically red. In the mix are a green variety that is peppermint or spearmint flavored. I like the Christmas mix of gum drops almost as much as I like the regular blend. If not even better. But I love gum drops when they are added to nougat!

I'm not normally a fan of ultra chewy candies. I'm also not really a fan of marshmallow. Yet, if you take that marshmellowy white nougat, chop up some gum drops into them (preferably of the holiday mix variety) and then portion that concoction out into bit sized squares, I cannot resist them. I then hoard a few and eat them over the course of the following January. And then a year or two passes, in which I completely forget gum drop nougats exist until I somehow run into them at a party or in my stocking and BAM! It's a temporary obsession all over again!



It's probably a good thing being a diabetic that I forget about gum drop nougats as they are 100% sugar. But they are so tasty and those vivid colors in a field of pure white is just so intoxicating. You might be asking 'how did I remember these for my Advent?' Thankfully, it's because I ran across them as I was doing my research for this blog. I plan out my Advent and each day's focus weeks in advance. Had I not come across the nougats while doing a Google search for something else, I might have substituted another candy in the place of the gum drop nougats. Selective amnesia or not; that would have been a crime against confections of the holiday sort.

Not only can you make gum drop nougat at home; apparently you can also make it in the microwave! For my Advent present for you today, here's a short video on how to make this treat without the use of a stove! 

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment