Saturday, December 2, 2023

A Hard Candy Christmas: Advent 2023 DAY 2

The candy featured in today's Advent is why I am so hooked on Advent calendars and do them annually. It's the Advent Calendar from Lindt Chocolates. My mom got me one of these every year to help the month-long anticipation of the holiday pass just a little bit smoother. Started in the 1950s, the confectioner started producing these beautiful little boxes with holiday scenes on them. Each day, you find the right number on the box, pull the flap on the scene and there would be a tiny morsel of chocolate. Usually the chocolates were of holiday shapes like stockings, gifts and candy canes. If I recall correctly, I think the chocolate on the 25th was a slightly bigger piece in the shape of Santa.


I remember getting one of these every year until I was about 16. By then, my much younger sister would be the one getting the Advent calendar and the chocolates to eat as I felt like I was too old for such a thing. But little did I know that my love for Advent calendars would live on. It's a fondness for those happy childhood memories that continues in my dedication in producing an advent on this blog every year. While I know that my posts are nowhere near as sweet or addictive as that rich piece of Lindt chocolate, hopefully, they've brought my readers joy over the years. But it's the thought that counts. Right?


This was another favorite Advent calendar I had. Each day had a Velcro ornament that you pulled off and decorated the felt tree with. I loved the customization of this simple countdown to Christmas

As today's Advent present for you, here's a brief video on the history of the Advent Calendar. While there are Advent calendars out there that gift you Legos, socks and other treats, the origin of the holiday staple is a lot more religious than you might think.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment