Tuesday, December 12, 2023

A Hard Candy Christmas: Advent 2023, DAY 12


We're back in the hard candy section of the pool.  Today I'm looking at Peanut Butter Pillows. Little pockets of smooth peanut butter encapsulated around a satiny hard sugar shell. 


Some manufacturers of Peanut Butter Pillows proclaim they come from a Pennsylvania Dutch recipe. That makes complete sense to me. My Aunt Patsy and her brood lived up in the Keystone State. Every year, her family would gift my mom and her parents with these sinful creations made by the most pious people on earth, the Amish!

This isn't a candy you just crunch and munch. The real fun is sucking on the lightly peanut-flavored hard candy until you're surprised by hitting that vein of the creamy peanut butter. The whole experience was like prospecting for oil, if the oil was polyunsaturated fat.

There's a similar candy to the Peanut Butter Pillows. Old Fashion Peanut Candies are shaped like shelled peanuts with a bright yellow hue. They're thrice as big which means three times as much peanut butter. I wouldn't consider these a variant of the Pillows as I'm not sure if either candy is made from the same company. But if you get a chance to try either variety, especially if you love peanut butter, don't let a chance to pop a couple into your mouth go by!

As my Advent present for you today, I'm sharing how they celebrate the holidays in my unofficial home state of Pennsylvania. This 11 minute long video shows how the Amish up North enjoy Christmas. Fun. Classic. Full of ice and snow. It invokes memories of spending Christmas with my relatives who lived on farms and more rural areas. 

Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment