Wednesday, December 13, 2023

A Hard Candy Christmas: Advent 2023, DAY 13


I am addicted to cherries. But being diabetic, I limit myself to them. Especially the maraschino ones. Yet for today's Advent, I'm going to let myself indulge a little bit as I explore Chocolate Covered Cherries in all there various forms.

According to Wikipedia, those differing types of Triple C's include:

cherry cordials with liquid fillings often including cherry liqueur, as well as chocolate-covered candied cherries and chocolate-covered dried cherries.

Christmas and Valentines seemed to be the only times of year these confections appeared in the homes of my parents and grandparents. Typically, I would get a small pack of chocolate covered cherries. The ones with the tiniest cherry of all time and that creamy pink filling. I HATED THOSE! My adult family members would receive the liqueur filled cordials. Because of the alcohol, I was only allowed 1 to try every year. But they were so good!

I'm going to go a little blue now. But what I am about to reveal is 100% true. My grandmama (on my dad's side) used to do chocolate work every year in anticipation of her annual Christmas Eve party. She'd make chocolate covered cherries by the dozen for those who were coming to the holiday bash. But for her family, including her grand kids, she'd make us Dolly Parton chocolate suckers where each ample bosom was filled with a maraschino cherry! It's definitely a story I should never share with my students. But I apologetically admit that I devoured quite a few of those chocolate cherries on a stick as a child!



The two most popular brands of chocolate covered cherries are Queen Anne and Cella's. I'm pretty sure that I am a fan of one and not the other/ But without going out to buy some, I can't remember which one I am a fan of. I wonder if you and your family have the same kind of debate. But after watching this video that compares and contrasts the two brands, hopefully, you'll be able to decide which cherry is right for you.

Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment