Sunday, December 10, 2023

A Hard Candy Christmas: Advent 2023, DAY 10


Earlier in this Advent, I mentioned that as a kid, I could always count on Hickory Farms and the Swiss Colony for an annual assortment of holiday treats. I've already devoted some time to Hickory Farms. Now it's time for the Swiss Colony. Now before I start, I want to point out that the Swiss Colony is now called Colony Brands. But for the sake of this blog and my fond holiday memories, I'm still calling them Swiss Colony. 


The Swiss Colony was started in Wisconsin in 1926. The name came about because of the large population of Swiss immigrants in the area and the state's reputation for making cheese. And while I am a huge fan of their port wine cheese spread and the similar chopped nut covered cheese ball, this Advent is about candy. The Swiss are also renowned for their chocolate and man, does the Swiss Colony make some darn fine chocolate. And for me, it just wasn't Christmas if some of my chocolate wasn't in the shape of an adorable mouse.



In 1958, the Swiss Colony hired artist Helen Endres to create a mascot for the company. Her creation was Chris Mouse, a little grey rodent with a white muzzle, a patchy tuff of grey hair and the cutest round little ears you've ever seen. At first Chris Mouse was dressed in European style lederhosen. But soon, he was decked out in a tiny Santa suit and became the cover star of the Swiss Colony holiday catalog which soon became colloquially known as the Chris Mouse Catelog! Along with order books, Chris Mouse has graced tins, ornaments and chocolates!

Every year, during our annual visit to Crabtree Valley Mall, after mom and dad ordered what they needed for their Thanksgiving and Christmas parties, I'd walk away with a small block of chocolate in the shape of Chris Mouse. It was so smooth, rich and creamy. Sadly, before the 1980s were through, Swiss Colony became a Mister Dunderbak's. But don't feel bad for me. As the Swiss Colony switched over to a mail order only business, my folks were still placing an annual order of holiday goodies which included that delicious festive mouse! I'm getting hungry just thinking about them!

Hmmmm... I might need to place an order for myself.


Another treat the Swiss Colony was known for were their Yule Log cakes. While I don't have any recollection of ever trying one, I know I spent many an hour looking at the Chris Mouse Catalog ogling over how scrumptious they looked. 

As my Advent gift for you today, I'm sharing a video on how the company makes their iconic Snowman Yule Log Cakes. Don't blame me if you find yourself ordering one of these bad boys after you finish viewing.

Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment