Tuesday, December 19, 2023

A Hard Candy Christmas: Advent 2023, DAY 19


Today's candy returns to the realm of hard candy; although it's actually really crunchy and can easily melt in your mouth. I'm talking about the Peppermint Puffs from Red Bird.

The candy is made right here in my backyard. Crafted by the Piedmont Candy Company of Lexington, NC for over 130 years. About the size of 2 peppermint starlights placed atop each other, the consistency of a puff is meringue-like. Think of those pastel mini mints you used to be able to get for free from a bowl placed near the restaurant cash register before COVID changed all that.


The recipe is simple: 100% cane sugar in liquid form, pure peppermint oil and a touch of red food color for the stripes on the peppermint. Handcrafted. Uniquely formed. It's a product where the quality shines throughout each and every piece.


Red Bird has in the past made a varietal of the puffs called a peppermint stick. It's about 3-4 inches in length and has about the same consistency. The only difference is that the diameter of the sticks is about a third of that of the puffs. When I went to Red Bird's website to research for today's post, I got a little scared because I couldn't find the sticks anywhere. Then I remembered that the Candy Factory in Lexington carries the entire line of Red Bird products, because the Reid family that owns Piedmont Candy Company, used to own the shop located in the downtown district. A quick search there and I breathed a sigh of relief. Whew! They still make them and along with several other flavors that I didn't even knew existed! (There's even an Easter mix!!!)


Red Birds are a candy I remember from the days of visiting Middlesex with my Grandmama. Only I didn't have to budget for peppermint puffs because my Grandmama always stocked up on peppermint puffs for the whole family to enjoy. Even today, I will become a tiny bit greedy and grab a couple extra for myself when presented with them. They're a classic candy that's still as freaking amazing today as they were 30 years ago and they bring back such great memories of family members that I miss so much.

If the Piedmont Candy Company ever did a tour of their facilities, I would love to go. Though they might not let me visit on the day they're making the peppermint puffs, least I take away my body weight in those indulgent little guys. Until that dream visit ever happens, here's a quick video produced by the Raleigh News & Observer that shows the process that goes into making the Red Bird Peppermint Puff!

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment