Monday, December 18, 2023

A Hard Candy Christmas: Advent 2023, DAY 18


In 1993 the Hershey Company changed the chocolate and peanut butter holiday game with the introduction of the Reese's Christmas Tree. My stocking was filled with 3 or 4 of these the year they debuted and since it's Christmas morn inception I was hooked.



Reese's Christmas Trees don't taste differently than a Reese's peanut butter cup. However the ratio of chocolate to peanut butter is clearly in the favor of the peanut butter lover. A Reese's cup has solid ridges of chocolate and the top shell is quite dense. With the Reese's Christmas tree (as well as the Halloween pumpkins), there's an even coating of softer chocolate covering a mass of gritty rich peanut butter. No thick chunks of milk chocolate here folks. And for someone who loves their Reese's frozen, it's much easier on the teeth.

There's been a bit of a controversy with the Reese's Christmas Trees. In years passed, customers have complained about the shape of the tree in years past with reports that it looks more scatological in nature than a lush evergreen. Reese's has admitted to the previous design flaws . But really I've not noticed any sort of change that made these candies look more like a Frasier fir. I really don't care how it looks. As long as there's more peanut butter than chocolate, I will continue to devour Reese's trees for my annual holiday eats!

Oh, and another thing! Don't try to pass off a white chocolate Christmas tree on me. They're just as poor a substitute as that hideous white artificial tree my mom used to have and they should both be condemned as crimes against Christmas!


As my Advent present for you today, I am sharing an amazing looking bark recipe that I'm planning on making with my students. Instead of the 12 oz. of Reese's cups, I'm replacing them with Christmas trees in order to have a better ratio, of course! I recommend you do the same!

The final product I made with my Culinary 3/4 Students.


Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment