Friday, June 28, 2024

Deadpool & The Mercs for Money, Vol. 0: Merc Madness


I have a saying when it comes to my taste in music that applies to other aspects of my interests. 'The worst Queen song is better than no Queen song at all.' I have certain things I like where even if it's the worst of the worst, I'd rather be entertained by it than just being bored. 

That's kinda how I feel about Deadpool's Mercs for Money era. It's perhaps the Merc with a Mouth's least entertaining period and yet, if I had to choose between reading a trade paperback full of these guys' exploits or watching paint dry, I'll take Wade Wilson and Co. every time. 

One of my biggest pet peeves with the Mercs for Money involves the line-up. There are essentially 7 members of the group, if you count Wade Wilson's leadership of the team. Living cartoon Slapstick is hilarious. Avengers reservist Stingray is a funny running joke on how that's not how the 'World's Greatest Heroes' do things. I've been a fan of immortal hit man Terror since I read his Christmas themed issue years ago and I love how he's kinda turned into a parody of Serpico and Donnie Brasco. Anti-heroes Solo and Foolkiller help to ground Deadpool into being a responsible leader. I'm not sure why you've got 2 moral anchors on the same team. It feels like overkill. And then there's Masacre...

Known as the Mexican Deadpool, Masacre speaks only Spanish. I'd have no problem with the character speaking exclusively Spanish if the writers/editors (or both) would translate what he's saying. But this was published during the Axel Alonso era of Marvel, which means these issues were released under the guidance of the worst editor the House of Ideas ever had. Each issue comes with a snarky editor's note telling readers to learn Spanish if they want to know what Masacre has to say; once again alienating readers instead of embracing all sides of the fanatic spectrum. So with not understanding what 1/7th of the team has to say and being treated like dirt because I know French and American Sign Language instead of Spanish, I don't feel as connected to the Mercs with Money compared to other Deadpool series. 

'Merc Madness' is a 5-issue series in which Deadpool's team comes into possession of a robot that might have insight into the future. Turns out this machine is one of those legendary Recorders and after going through a rip in the fabric of space, it was ingrained with unlimited knowledge of the multiverse. Naturally, Wade Wilson sees dollar signs; immediately putting it up for auction. This puts a targets on the backs of the Mercs with Money until they can deliver the Recorder to the secret hideout of the highest bidder.

Along with the main story like this trade paperback includes the one-shot Deadpool: Masacre. Apparently it's a Cinco de Mayo special issue (for those of you who like to collect holiday themed comics). At first, I'm apprehensive because if I know anything about Masacre, it's that he speaks untranslated Spanish. However, from what I can gather from intro at the beginning of the special, writer's Gerry Duggan and Brian Posehn wrote the entire script in English, translated it into Spanish and then back into English in order to hilariously massacre everything in some odd Marvel version of the kid's game Telephone. 

As a result, you do get this hilarious Batman-like origin story of the Mexican Deadpool. Bloody too! However, based on how the editor's keep telling their readers to learn Spanish if they've got complaints about not understanding what the characters has to say, the idea behind this one-shot seems insensitive. Don't get me wrong! I love Deadpool's irreverence and I'm not calling for the character to be cancelled. It's just another example of how Axel Alonso was just as irreverent, crude and crash like the rest of us; he just couldn't care less what his white, older customer base wanted. Some might applaud that way of thinking. But as someone who majored on the business side of the culinary industry, I know that such alienation isn't how your run a multi-national company. Alas, Alonso had to offend somebody. He just chose to turn away the population who had the most spending power.

It's not my favorite Deadpool volume. But as a fan of the character, I'm going to keep it. Though I'm culling from my massive collection, this one will stay. How else can I say I have the entire gambit of Deadpool stories?

Rating: 5 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment