Sunday, May 25, 2014

HULK AND THE AGENTS OF S.M.A.S.H. + AVENGERS ASSEMBLE (FCBD)


Thanks to the plethora of Marvel Comics movies, the animated world is dominated by Marvel Comics. In this 2013 Free Comic Book Day offering, fans of Disney XD’s Hulk and the Agents of SMASH and Avengers: Earth Mightiest Heroes get a rare treat seeing these series get the comic book treatment. I’ve not done the research, but I am sure these two series eventually became comic books- even briefly. However, I’m not happy with at least one these Marvel’s approaches.


  The Avengers story was an original piece designed to help non-viewers learn who’s a part of the show. I enjoyed it. It captured the spirit of the cartoon very well, while keeping in some sort of balance with the Avengers live-action film.

   What I hated was the Agents of SMASH story. It wasn’t an original story. Heck, it wasn’t even based on original art. Like the Ultimate Spider-man comic based on the cartoon of the same name, the Agents of SMASH story was based on an episode from the show. In fact, even panel was taken from the cartoon as well. There’s no originality to this work whatsoever. I will be mighty disappointed if Marvel continued that trend in an ongoing comic of Agents of SMASH.

   Parents shouldn’t be discouraged from letting their kids read this comic nor what the shows they are based on. But I know if I was a kid and I got a comic based on the show and it wasn’t a totally new story, I would’ve felt gyped.  It would be one thing if Marvel at least drew new art around an old story used on the show, but they don’t. Marvel has for years made adaptions of movies and TV shows and draw new art for already published stuff (I.E. The Star Wars comic series and Star Trek: The Motion Picture.) So, why buck the norm? Until Marvel decides to stop publishing its TV shows in comic form verbatim and with still photos from the show, I am not going to waste my money or time or a series like Agents of SMASH.

 

Rating: 5 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment