Monday, May 19, 2014

The Adventures of Dr. McNinja volume 1: Night Powers


Adventures of Dr. McNinja (2011-2012) #TP Vol 1
 
Holey Mol-ey! Am I in love with the one web comic in world history to star an Irish Ninja physician! Dr. McNinja is all three things rolled into one and his world is totally insane. Helping McNinja save the world from evil is his gorilla secretary, Judy and his 12-year old sidekick, Gordito, a cowboy that rides a velociraptor and bears a full mustache.
 
If this series seems completely nuts, it is! There’s definite elements of the Tick, Deadpool, and Supernatural Law. But the comic that is the most like Dr. McNinja is another classic web series known as Axe Cop! This series isn’t written by a six-year old. But when I read McNinja speck, I hear Axe Cop’s voice in my head. (Axe Cop is also an animated feature on Fox and is voiced by the epic Nick Offerman of Parks and Rec.
 
Adding to the craziness are the tiny blurbs on the bottom on each page by series creator Christopher Hastings. They’re like a director’s cut for the absurd.
 
I found this book at my local library. I love that place. I am so glad that they had this book as well as a second volume in the series, which I look forward to eagerly. I have only read one book so far, yet Dr. McNinja has already become not only one of my favorite independent comics, but one of my favorite comics series of all-time. Fantastically bizarre stuff.
 
Worth Consuming.
 
Rating: 9 out of 10 stars.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment