Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Strange Sports Stories #1 (of 3)

Issue #1 with the trading cards attached.

   Welcome to the Strange Sports Hall of Fame. Based out of Canton, Ohio it's run by the aged Hall O. Fame. Fame has the personal claim to having been involved with every American sport invented in the past 200 years! In his museum are exhibits to not only every sport imaginable but some that are out of this world and everywhere in between.

   Hall O. Fame, along with his robot hostess Miss Sullivan and resident alien sports expert, Bob the Blob, takes his guests on a whirlwind tour of several adventures including a story about a high school running back that happens to be a werewolf, a brave young man with leukemia's dream of being a radical skateboarder, and some strange but true stories of happenings in the world of baseball and boxing.

   I enjoyed this book, thought the art was a little rough. But I happily remember the original Strange Sports Stories that DC put out in the 70s and how fun they were. That's what I expected with this book and that's what I got. But I'm wondering how Adventure Comics, which in no way is affiliated with DC, was able to name this comic STRANGE SPORTS STORIES.

   I would've thought there would be some sort of copyright against that. Maybe that's why this series was limited to only 3 issues. I'm guessing Adventure Comics couldn't pass on the title and so they figured that they bolt and run before DC found out...

   I'm not accusing anyone of anything. I just can't find anything about this series online other than some listings of back issues for sale. If anyone has any further info on this, please drop me a line. I'm very interested in learning more about this little-known series.

   BTW- if you are interested in collecting this book, complete issues come with a pair of really cool trading cards based on characters from this series.

   Worth Consuming

   Rating: 8 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment