Monday, May 16, 2016

Thor: Season One



   Sometimes I get really lucky and I find a book that I've been wanting somewhere for a steep discount. That was the case here with Thor: Season One. My library had carried a couple of the books from this Marvel series that recounts the origins of some of it's most popular character's while giving them a modern twist and I enjoyed them.  Plus, I've really been getting into Thor a lot and he's grown into one of my favorite characters. So, to find this hardcover for less than $7- oh I had to jump on it!

   Here we learn what exactly got Thor in trouble with his father Odin, resulting in the Asgardian's exile to earth. We also see the early formations of the Warriors Three and experience Loki's discovery of his true heritage. But what really interested me in this story was the dynamic between Thor in his human persona of Dr. Donald Blake and his partner, Jane Foster.

   In this story, Jane is Don's equal. Both are doctors and together, they start a clinic right as Blake begins to uncover the truth of his past as Thor. Jane even knows Blake is Thor. Yet, every time Thor took over instead of Donald Blake, I kept hoping it would hurry up so we could get back to the good stuff. Yes, Donald Blake's ho-hum life as a crippled doctor was just that much more interesting to me and that my friends is a sign of great writing under the Marvel Comics banner.

   Matthew Sturges, whose work I've enjoyed in the pages of Vertigo's House of Mystery and Blue Beetle, is a master at back stories. He makes the person behind the capes and superpowers so engaging and so intriguing. That's exactly what Stan Lee did when he created the Marvel Universe over 50 years ago and I can tell from this book, that someone took notes and kept with the time-honored formula.

   The Season One books were all published in 2013. Now three years later and with Marvel's reboot of its entire universe for the first time ever, I doubt seriously that we'll ever see a Thor: Season Two. But this book was a masterpiece and is a classic that shouldn't be ignored. No matter how much you think you know the story of Thor, this book with art by Pepe Larraz (Star Wars: Kanan) will make the Norse gods new to you once again!

   Worth Consuming

   Rating: 10 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment