Wednesday, January 25, 2017

1977: A Madman Turns 40: 2017- Day 25

  As I plod along in the A Madman Turns 40 project, I'm listening to more music from 1977. Myself, I am not musically inclined but I like a lot of different stuff. My parents were the same way. Who knows, maybe some of the stuff I'm discovering from that year was stuff I was introduced to while in the womb...
   

  Today I'm looking at an album that dropped 40 years ago this week. I can't find the exact day. Some sites say January 25th (which is today) and some sources list it's debut on the 27th or 28th. The album I'm talking about is Santana's Festival.

    Festival was Santana's 8th studio album and it really feels like one. There's the rhythmic beats of drums, Latin jazz, smooth r&b, and scorching 70s glam rock guitar riffs all throughout this record. I'm not really a Santana fan but since I am trying to be very well-rounded in my exploration of 1977, I decided to give Festival a listen to in my class at the culinary school.
Carlos Santana in concert, 1977.

    For the most part, the students liked it. A couple were bopping along to the tune. Another student said it reminded her of her father who loved Santana. 

    For a couple of songs, I was reminded of Herbie Hancock's Watermelon Man. Not the original composition but his 1973 remake that incorporated a style mixed of Sly and the Family Stone, James Brown, and Cuba beats. Just with that song, some of Santana's compositions were both Cuban sounding and so very funky. 
Herbie Hancock's Headhunters.
The album has a similar vibe to Festival.

    Well, that's my look at 1977 for today. Santana's Festival can be found on Youtube, Amazon, and iTunes. If you are looking for a mix of Latin flavor with rock undertones and a popping Cuban beat, be sure to check this album out. 
Back Cover of Festival. 2-CD set re-release.

     Tune in tomorrow as this Madman will explore another piece of 1977 history.

     Worth Consuming

     Rating: 8 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment