Tuesday, January 10, 2017

1977: A Madman Turns 40: 2017- Day 10

   While doing my research for my blog, I discovered that 40 years ago today, New York Islander Bobby Nystrom scored the team's 20th ever hat trick. 

     First of all, I love the game. I have about 30 different jerseys in my collection and I've been a fan ever since the USA hockey team destroyed the big back Soviets in the 1980 Winter Olympics. Some of my family is from Western Pennsylvania, thus the Penguins were our team, naturally. I feel in love with the Maple Leafs in the 90s. And my wife is a huge fan of the Islanders for some reason. Plus, 2017 marks the 100th anniversary of the founding of the NHL...

     I think it's a sign. This Madman needs to look at hockey in 1977.

   If you are a true hockey fan and you'll exploring 1977, you have to give major props to the screwball comedy Slap Shot. This pull no punches film focuses on a minor league hockey team desperate for ticket sales, least they have to move. The team introduced the hockey world to the fictitious Hanson Brothers; a set of triplets that are kinda weird, kinda goons, and all kinds of awesome! 
  
     
     The Stanley Cup Champs that year were the Montreal Canadians. I hate the Montreal Canadians. There are only 2 other teams I hate more than the Montreal Canadians. This is all you'll be hearing of them.

    1977 saw tow teams relocate. The Kansas City Scouts headed to Colorado and became the Rockies and the California Golden Seals became the Cleveland Barons. By the next year, it was the end of a team as the Cleveland Barons, wound up merging with the Minnesota North Stars. The North Stars moved in the early 90s to Dallas and dropped the 'North' from their name. I miss the North Stars.


Real Cloutier, yeah, that's his real name.
    There wasn't just the NHL in 1977. The league had a rival called the WHA. The Quebec Nordiques won the Avco World Trophy that year. '77 was a good year for French Canadian hockey.

As I mentioned earlier, I love jerseys. So before I go, let's look at some jerseys from my favorite year.
A blue body with white arm stripes is a classic look.
I hate their away jerseys which reverses the colors
I think it should be a law that if you wear this classic
NY Islanders jersey, you have to have a handlebar mustache.
    
I love this one. It's Beautiful. The Pens have actually brought back
this design in their 3rd jerseys, only with the original circle logo instead of the Three Rivers Triangle.
   Well, there you have it:  the world of hockey, 1977 in a nutshell. Who knows where I'll go next tomorrow as A Madman Turns 40.

No comments:

Post a Comment