Tuesday, January 3, 2017

1977: A Madman Turns 40: 2017- Day 3

   Today marks the first 40th Anniversary of 2017 that I will explore as a Madman Turns 40. It was on this day in 1977 that the Amazing Spider-man comic strip debuted in newspapers nationwide. 

    The daily comic strip has the distinction of the longest written series by living legend, Stan 'The Man' Lee. When the strip first debuted, seminal Spider-man artist John Romita (SR.) brought the wall-crawler to life. Now, it's co-written and drawn by Stan's little brother, Larry Lieber. 
Promotional image that debuted in Sunday papers on Jan 2, 1977
alerting fans of the new strip that would begin the next day.

     It's kinda fitting that this strip began in 1977. Until I was about 12, Spider-man was a my favorite Marvel character. I remember being thrilled when the live-action series came on TV (It had already aired by the time I saw it, but a local TV station, WPTF-28 (now defunct) aired the very short-lived series in half hour increments during the day when I was 3 or 4. One really cool promotion for the series going into syndication was a meet and greet with Spidey at the Belk's at the Crabtree Valley Mall in Raleigh. I still have the autographed photo they gave out... somewhere.)
     
    Anyways, before I go, I thought I would share with you what the very first strip looked like and what today's strip morphed into. Sadly, it's not some sort of anniversary strip honoring Stan and Larry.


Jan 3, 1977

Jan 3, 2017
(Many Thanks to David Kolf and the rest of the Back Issue Magazine community for making me aware of this cool anniversary!)

No comments:

Post a Comment