Monday, January 16, 2017

1977: A Madman Turns 40: 2017- Day 16

   
I feel like I neglected a national treasure. 

    Yesterday I devoted A Madman Turns 40 to the debut of the Coneheads on Saturday Night Live. But there was another famous debut on SNL that night. I figured since episodes of the show start at 11:30 and end at 1am the following Sunday, I would be within the letter of the law celebrating this 40th anniversary milestone. 
  
    So, here goes:

  Happy 40th Anniversary Debut of Bill Murray!!!

      We love Murray now. But things weren't so rosy for the comedian when he replaced Chevy Chase who departed for a solo movie career. But over time, not only did Bill Murray become a favorite member of the Not Ready for Prime-time Players cast, he went on to become an accomplished actor in his own right. Stripes, Ghostbusters, Groundhog Day, and What About Bob? None of these films would be quite as good without Bill Murray. (Caddyshack might, but I doubt it!)

     I'd love to share with you Murray's first ever sketch on SNL. But the truth is, I can't find it anywhere. So, I'm going to share with you a clip of one of my all-time favorite sketches of Bill Murray as Nick the Lounge Singer. It's rather funny and quite fitting for 1977...

   Enjoy-

50 bonus points if you can name the fella playing the piano.

No comments:

Post a Comment