Friday, October 8, 2021

Dear DC Super-Villains (Family Comic Friday)

After a lengthy hiatus due to the pandemic, Family Comic Friday is back!

My local library is where I get my hands on the latest all-ages releases. Thanks to COVID, the reading center was closed. Finally, that exile appears over and I'm back to reviewing family favorite graphic novels and more!

I've been looking forward to Dear DC Super-Villains ever since I read Dear DC Super-Heroes. I really felt after I completed the good guys book that a baddie version would be a natural sequel. However, I don't think the format works well with the enemies.

The premise of this series is that kids would write their favorite- or in this case- least favorite heavy hitters of the DC Universe with an assortment of questions. Michael Northrop (Rotten) again is the author of these dispatches. But it just doesn't seem like the right fit having super-villains corresponding with children. At least in this terse political environment...

Another thing that seemed off was a running story of how the Legion of Super-Villains is in chaos with leader Lex Luthor in jail. Gorilla Grodd really wants to be the new leader but nobody seems to want to take orders from an ape! This volume also ties in with a prison break and a run in with the heroes of the Justice League. In all, things in this read felt uneven.

Some segments were rather funny. I especially loved the banter between Catwoman and Batman. And Northrop's Harley Quinn was just perfect. Luthor too! But why is Katana a part of this? She's not a villain? Has she turned sides recently and I'm just not aware?

I enjoyed the whimsical artwork by Gustavo Duarte (Bizarro). He's just a fun artist to experience. I hope the kiddies like him too!

I'm not over with the Dear DC series. I think if they go back to the heroes with a book three, things could return to normal. Maybe a spooky edition with the members of Justice League Dark or a collection of letters to some of the most bizarre characters in the DC Universe like Adam Strange, Lobo and The Creeper. Or why not both!?

This was an enjoyable read that families will love. This sequel just didn't have all of the magic of the original. I guess that's sequels for you!

Worth Consuming!

Rating: 8 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment