Friday, October 29, 2021

Krypto the Superdog (Family Comic Friday)

Krypto the Superdog was an animated series that ran on Cartoon Network from 2005-06 for 39 episodes. It stars Kal-El's pet puppy arriving on earth all grown up. During quiet times, Krypto poses as the regular house pet of young Metropolis transplant Kevin by day. But when trouble pops up, the super pooch dons a cape and becomes Superdog! Along with animal pals Streaky the Supercat, Ace the Bathound and the canines of the intergalactic Dog Stars, Krypto will take on the animal counterparts of the like of the Joker, Penguin and super-foe Lex Luthor.

I remember trying to enjoy this show. But I since I couldn't figure out why Krypto was living with Kevin and his family, I wasn't a big fan. Thanks to that recent trip to the library, I came across this book in the new releases section of the kids graphic novel section. Being a Super-Family fan and excited to bring Family Comic Friday back, I took a shot on this collection of comic reprints. 

The verdict? Nice Shooting.

Issue #1 is an origin issue and explains perfectly why Krypto is still Superman's doggie but living with Kevin. Now if the writers could have explained why Streaky is around but Supergirl is not; I'd have been perfectly pleased with everything. 

Another pleasant surprise was how many human mainstays of the DC Universe guest star in these pages. Along with Superman and Batman, you'll see the likes of--- oh, I don't want to spoil the fun. And Krypto the Superdog was definitely fun. 

The artwork by Scott Jeralds (Freakazoid!), Min S. Ku (Green Lantern) and others was done in the style of the Batman: The Animated Series Universe and it was beautiful. The stories were a mix of classic DC storytelling with modern rebooting which was rather clever. I liked the Dog Stars and the villainous Mechanikat and Snooky Wookums. But I don't think they're anthropomorphic arch-types of established DC characters. But if I find out that they are, I think I might very well like this series even more.

Smartly written for the whole family, this is a great series that rightfully deserve a second look. If only the original issues were released when the series was still airing as new episodes and not right as the show got cancelled. Had DC taken action sooner with this series, the cartoon might have lasted longer than it did and not become a nearly forgotten gem. 

Kudos to DC for reissuing these family friendly reads!

Worth Consuming!

Rating: 9 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment