Sunday, October 31, 2021

Grimm Tales of Terror Quarterly: 2021 Halloween Special

On paper, which technically comic books are, the fairy tale inspired publications from Zenescope should be one of my regular reads. However, I find that for the most part, they're just a little too much T&A for my liking. That is until we get to the holidays.

I've found that the Grimm Fairy Tales inspired Christmas and Halloween specials are fairly descent reads. I've grown to love the Krampus inspired X-Mas reads. And when it comes to Halloween, Zenescope really ups the fear factor!

In this special a struggling actor has a chance to become a member of an elite club that promises unimaginable fame and fortune. All this guy has to do is harvest some souls on Halloween night at an amusement park. Picking through the throngs of visitors, only the lowest of the low will do for this culling!

I was okay with about 3/4 of this book. I liked the amusement park which combines Disney and Knott's Berry Farm. It looked like a place to have some creepy fun. This special links 4 groups of guests with the struggling actor's story book-ending everything. The first couple of stories were very good. They were monster zombie/slasher stories and I can tolerate those. But the last 2 tales involved demons and they just ain't my thing. I did like how one of them was a Riverdale parody. But that was about all of that adventure which I dug.

Yes, I know that I said that I like Zenescope's Krampus stories. But he's typically the only demon in those stories. These hordes from Hell that infiltrate the amusement park are the stuff of heavy metal fans' nightmares (or in this case dreams?!)

Great art. Fairly good storytelling. A little alluring but nothing like Grimm Fairy Tales' nudie variant covers. It was a good read. But it was just a little too demonic for my taste. 

Rating: 6 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment