Saturday, October 30, 2021

Fangs


What happens when a 300-year old vampire and a modern werewolf fall in love? Sarah Anderson's Fangs attempts to answer that question with a series of small snapshots of the process of finding your 'soul' mate. From those awkward introductions to navigating the rules and norms of each species to the first fight and ultimately moving in together, this was a creative story that really made me chuckle. 

I made a trip to the library today and I thought I had my reads all ready and picked when I came across the graphic novel Halloween reads display. I saw Fangs sitting there with it's simple scarlet cloth bound cover and stunning 1920s styled image of the Vamp on the cover and I just had to have it. The back cover offers zero information about what the story had to offer. So, I really have to take a leap of faith with this graphic novel and I must say that trust fall paid off. 

The idea of 2 monsters falling in love isn't really new. Frankenstein's monster has his bride. And when it comes to inter-species marriage between monsters, naturally you refer to The Munsters. But having a vampire and a werewolf getting along like this is a fairly new thing. I mean doesn't Hollywood basically tell use that the two types of monsters hate each other as mortal (or is it immortal) enemies?

Fangs is both an allegory for interracial relationships and a text book for modern dating and cohabitation which these days seem to be anything but normal. 

It's a light read with hints of the Addams Family, The New Yorker Magazine and Sex and the City. This is something that your typical non-graphic novel reading friends could enjoy along with you!

Worth Consuming!

Rating: 9 out 10 stars. 

No comments:

Post a Comment