Friday, October 15, 2021

Star Wars Adventures Vol. 1: Heroes of the Galaxy (Family Comic Friday)

Before I started teaching, I was writing regularly for an online publication. So, if a couple of these issues seem familiar, it's from when I was writing for them and then posting my reviews on this page. For today's Family Comic Friday, I return to Star Wars Adventures; re-introducing myself to the Ash Can as well as the first issue. 

When I went over to my local library a few weeks ago, I noticed that they had about 10 or so volumes of this series. Seeing a chance to save some dough, I've decided to read through the whole run. Thus, my return to a couple of issues previously reviewed.

Volume 1 starts out with protocol droid C-3PO and astromech R2-D2 providing an overview of the series. SWA promised tales from all aspects of the 3 film trilogies and the filler material. So you might get a story with Mace Windu then the reformed Imperial droid from Rogue One and a tale starring Poe Cameron. Issue #1 and 2 stars new trilogy break-out star Rey in a tale from before Episodes VII!

Each issue also contains a segment called 'Tales from Wild Space.' As the framing features characters from the days before Disney owned Star Wars, Star Wars Adventures promises to cover the now non-canon aspects of the Star Wars Universe- which is just fine with me. Seeing as Disney and Marvel are all about the multiverse and What Ifs..., I see no reason why this alternate reality aspect of a galaxy far, far away can't exist in some way as well!

Featuring stories by Cavan Scott (Star Wars: The High Republic) and Landry Q. Walker (Red Lanterns), what really impresses me is the artwork. Especially the main stories by Jughead's Derek Charm~ He's got that great cartoonist quality which makes him the Alex Toth of the modern era, in my opinion.

Worth Consuming!

Rating: 8 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment