Friday, June 24, 2022

Looney Tunes #266 (Family Comic Friday)

There's a trio of fun in this issue. I'm just afraid I might be a little too old to fully enjoy it now.

First up, in the brand new story, Bugs is awakened by an earthquake. Upon going topside, Bugs discovers that something is off with his friends. They've all been replaced with robots!

The cover story was what sold me on making a purchase of this issue. The story was interesting as I was stymied as to just who was behind the robotic changes... I was convinced it was Marvin the Martian. But I was so disappointed with the cliched ending. Yeah, this was a comic book story full of cliches. But it was that last ending that was just 1 banality too many!

The two reprint stories weren't so guilty of the offense of overuse of the worn out jokes. In reprint #1, Tweety and Sylvester fight over the TV remote. In the second, Bugs takes on a grocery store that stole his carrots. Of these two, the Tweety & Sylvester romp was the best.

I thought that there was a major over reaction with Bugs. Instead of trying to either reason with the store owner or hire a lawyer, the rascally rabbit decides to use deceit and trickery to get his nums back. Maybe I'm just getting older, but I felt like that second Bugs story could have been handled in a much different way.

I only paid $2.99 for this book. That's retail. I'm not terribly upset with my purchase as I would love to one day own the whole run. Though, I think with all the reprints, I might not have to buy every issue. Possible. But I bet it would take a lot of research to get a complete list in order to not have a bunch of doubles. 

If the young reader in your life loves Looney Tunes cartoons, this is a great bi-monthly series for them. The artwork has always been animation style quality. And the stories themselves are so much like cartoons. That ending that I hated is definitely the type of ending you would expect for a Merry Melodies cartoon. I'm pretty sure that had I experienced this on the TV, I'd be disappointed with the results as well.

That's what happens when you get older, I guess. Silly things just look silly. I might not be a fan of all of it, but your kids are gonna love it!

Rating: 6 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment