Saturday, July 9, 2022

Black Hammer, Vol. 4: Age of Doom Part 2

Black Hammer is one of those series that I was reading all well and good and then BOOM!, COVID hit. I had been getting my trade copies from my local library. And for a good 18 months, it became almost impossible to get something from my nearby branch. Between being completely shut down, limited pick-up and wait lists, I eventually gave up. And Black Hammer went on the back burner.

With the library reopening this year, I had a list of things to read that I had been waiting on but not willing to pay for. Jeff Lemire's Black Hammer was tops on my list. But knowing how complex and full of mysteries this amazing series is, I knew better to wait to be able to check out a whole bunch instead of taking my chances one volume at a time. 

In Age of Doom Part 1, the residents of Black Hammer Farm learned the truth behind their mysterious exile. In this volume, we learn what happens when the conspiracy unravels. Colonel Weird awakes in the middle of a strange wasteland that is ever changing. Weird has plopped down into the middle of the land of forgotten characters. It seems that whomever created the adventurous astronaut has deemed Weird's story over. But don't tell him that!

Meanwhile in Spiral City, the heroes have returned. Only things are completely different as there have never been superheroes before. Now rebooted, Spiral City is dark, dank and gritty and a handful of once glorified people live a life of sorrow and misery. 

It did take me a little while to catch up on what I had read 3 years prior before the pandemic made me pause reading the Black Hammer books. But once I followed through, my memory caught up with me and I had a blast reading this book!

I'll admit, I cheated a little. There's a trio of characters that I feel in love with and I had to fumble ahead just to make sure I wouldn't be surprised with their deaths. Thankfully, they made it. But I really can't reveal much more about them or I will definitely spoil stuff. 

The ending for this book was satisfying. True, there's still questions abounding, especially about the fate of at least 1 character. But for the most part, I was pleased with the story's finale. If I wanted, I could just close the book on the story. But, I checked out 3 further volumes which all add to the backstory of the characters and their foes. Plus, I know there's still 2 or 3 more volumes out there that either my library had checked out or they having yet been collected in trade form.

But as long as Jeff Lemire (Sweet Tooth) and Dean Ormstron (2000 AD) keep knocking it out of the park with this love story to the comic book art form, I see no reason to give up on Black Hammer yet.

Worth Consuming!

Rating: 9 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment