Wednesday, July 13, 2022

Marvel Comics Presents #127

The segments that comprise the multi-part stories of Wolverine, Ghost Rider/Typhoid Mary and Iron Fist really seem to do nothing. I call these segments 'Chess Move Chapters'. There's not a lot of action or kills. Just a lot of movement to get the players into the right place in order to execute the final act. 

As for the 4th segment, I was in love. It's a single issue 8-pager starring Speedball. Young Robbie Baldwin comes across Doctor Octopus. But the teen hero is the one in the wrong as Otto actually isn't doing anything really wrong. Recently paroled for his past deeds, Doc Ock has just gone out for a night on the town with a lady love. And NO- it's not Aunt May! 

Over the course of MCP, my interest has grown immensely about collecting the original Speedball run. Having Steve Ditko involved was already a huge selling point. But it was this issue, without the comic book legend at the helm, that sold me over to really trying to find an affordable run or even a collected volume. I mean if you can produce quality work without the guy who created the character, then that's a character I want to learn more about. 

Sadly, the Speedball story was really the only thing of note in this issue. I guess that's why none of the other characters are on my wish list.

Not Worth Consuming!

Rating: 3 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment