Friday, July 1, 2022

Chunky (Family Comic Friday)

Most kids have an imaginary friend. But if you are middle-schooler Hudi Mercado, you have Chunky, the imaginary mascot!

Sickly from a very young age due to having major lung surgery, Hudi is overweight. But he's imaginative and has an amazing sense of humor. Still, he needs to be more active. So his parents push him to try a variety of sports. Unfortunately, instead of scoring the game winning goal, Hudi ends up continuously getting injured.

What Hudi really wants to do is participate in theatre. But when he discovers that his size is a big advantage to him when playing football, Hudi will have to decide between his passion and a sport that he is good at. 

I loved this book. Despite being semi-autobiographical, Chunky was imaginative and clever. In between each chapter, Hudi and Chunky field questions like athletes do during a post-game interview. The narration is done as a sports announcer. And the concept of an imaginary mascot was just so funny.

I wish I was a big shot producer. Because I see such great potential in this graphic novel becoming an animated Pixar movie or Disney+ TV series. Or maybe both! 

I've automatically become a fan of Yehudi Mercado and I'm excited about his future prospects. Upon checking out his web page, I've learned that there's a Shazam graphic novel for young readers coming soon from DC and there's a Chunky sequel in the works! I can't wait for either. 

Chunky was a fun all-ages romp. Kids will love it; though there is a scene where Hudi is trying to use a hand saw to disastrous effect that made me a little queasy. But for the majority of this book, kids and their parents/guardians will absolutely love it!

Worth Consuming!

Rating: 10 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment