Tuesday, July 19, 2022

Thor: Love and Thunder

Thanks to COVID and my being of high risk, I haven't been to the movies in a very long time. Spider-Man: No Way Home was the last thing I've seen in theaters. Despite a love of Jack Kirby, Eternals just didn't motivate me enough to go amongst the crowds for over 3 hours. And while I really wanted to see the latest Doctor Strange movie, I just didn't. Thus, when my god son asked me to go see Thor: Love and Thunder, I had many questions.

For one, will my not having seen Eternals or Multiverse of Madness, along with still not having succumbed to joining Disney+, impact how to follow the plot. The answer to that question is that it will not. Second, it's been years since I have seen the first 3 Thor films, am I going to be lost? The answer is no, not really. That's because filmmaker Taika Waititi does a very good job keeping the viewers up to date with most of what has occurred in the 11 years Thor has graced the silver screen. But that might just about be all Waititi does perfectly in Thor: Love and Thunder. 

My feelings for the newest Marvel Cinematic Universe movie are all over the place. There were a lot of things I liked and quite a few things I thought were moronic. If Thor: Ragnarok was introducing the corn factor to the god of thunder, then Love and Thunder topped that corn with plenty of cheese. 

How about I list off what I liked so that way I can explain my dislikes:

  • The reason Mjolnir chooses Jane Foster to become the new Thor. It was a whole lot more believable and acceptable than jerk-wad and former Marvel EIC Axel Alonso's need to make Thor a woman for the sake of pissing off fans. Plus, I have enjoyed that this film moves the needle in a lot of areas not really explored by Disney/Marvel without being preachy.
  • Speaking of Axel. I loved the addition of Kieron L. Dyer (Jingle Jangle: A Christmas Story) as the late Heimdall's son Axel. In fact, I want Marvel to either make a series about him or add him to the comics. Or both! He was such a scene stealer.
  • Speaking of scene stealers, Christian Bale was fantastic as Gorr the God Butcher. He was the perfect mix of betrayed acolyte and bat-crap crazy killer. I really think Bale channeled former The Dark Knight cast mate, Heath Ledger's Joker to play the role of Gorr.
  • Speaking of Gorr, I liked how this movie was a family affair. Not only did Chris Hemsworth's daughter India play Gorr's daughter; but his twin sons Tristan and Sasha represent Thor as a child during flashback scenes. Plus, brother Luke is back portraying Thor in those ridiculous theatre scenes along with Matt Damon and some other popular actors whom might surprise you!
  • Finally, I loved the Easter eggs in this movie. And I loved how interconnected things were. The Guardians of the Galaxy return. Though if you are wondering where Gamora is, you probably have to wait for GOTG Vol. 3 to get your answer. Several key players from past Thor movies make cameos and there are a bunch of deities from 60 some odd years of Marvel comics history that appear. Sadly, if there was a Stan Lee image hiding somewhere in this movie, I missed it. 
Okay. I've covered the hits. Let's look at the misses.
  • The film's soundtrack, which is heavy on Guns n' Roses songs, was inconsistent with the tone of the film. There's a scene that uses the instrumental ending to November Rain and while as powerful as that tune is, some of the characters used were ridiculous and it took away from the serious of that penultimate scene. 
  • Now on the plus side, Dio's Rainbow in the Dark was used in the closing credits. Perfect as the rainbow bridge known as Bifrost is a main plot point in the movie. But, I don't understand how if you use all GNR songs for the movie that you don't stay consistnet and close with such a song in the end credits...
  • Speaking of the credits, there was a huge missed opportunity. The actors names were blasted on the screen using fonts of popular heavy metal bands from the 80s. But to not use the AC/DC logo with the lightning bolt to represent Russell Crowe who plays the Greek god Zeus was down right criminal!
  • Speaking of Russell Crowe. I felt that his over the top Greek stereotype portrayal of Zeus was absurd. I had heard that Waititi had Crowe do every scene in both a refined British accent and as buffoonish Greek speak before deciding which dialect to use. Should have gone British. Again- the goofiness sprinkled throughout the film diminishes the serious overtones.
The film ends with a promise that Thor will return (along with 2 extra end credit scenes.) I have seen reports that the pledge of more  Asgardian hi-jinx was something of a surprise to both the director and Chris Helmsworth. Even though I thought that the silliness of this film was amped up to 11 at times, I would very much want to see Thor 5, if not for the promising ending. An ending of which I would very much like to see explored in the comics. Take note Marvel. I'm willing to buy new issues of Thor off the shelf, monthly, if you created a Love and Thunder comic book! 

Finally, I have to talk about the two real stars of this film. The goats Toothgrinder and Toothgnasher. As a recnt adoptive parent of a pair of goats, I enjoyed the presence of these two CGI wonders. Thankfully, my goats don't scream. With Toothgrinder and Toothgnasher added to the MCU, I think it's time for a Holiday special with Thor and Company. Odin's riding of a sleigh driven by goats is an inspiration for Santa's reindeer transport. And since Odin is dead in the MCU (not a spoiler, BTW), I think having Thor take over would be a hoot. I might even subscribe to Disney+ just to experience it.

This wasn't the best MCU offering I've ever seen. But it sure wasn't Thor: The Dark World! Thank God!

Worth Consuming!

Rating: 7 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment