Friday, July 8, 2022

Larfleeze, Vol. 2: Revolt of the Orange Lanterns

YOU WILL BELIEVE A JACKASS CAN FLY!

That should be the tagline if they were ever to make a film starring Larfleeze, the Orange Lantern of Avarice!

I came across this book for just a few dollars at an Ollie's. Having first been introduced to the character in the pages of the Larfleeze Christmas Special, I took a shot on this book. And then after adding it to my collection, I promptly filled it in one of my short boxes and immediately forgot about it. Jump forward a couple of years until a few days ago, I was in the mood for something light. Thankfully, I had this Larfleeze book on hand for such a moment as that!

Larfleeze is in a panic. Oh, and he's tremendously upset! That's because someone has stolen all his stuff- including the Orange Lantern that fuels his power ring. With time running out, Larfleeze, along with his newly acquired butler, Stargrave (I.E. kidnapped), will stoop to nothing to retrieve his lost loot!

Featuring a nearly forgotten sci-fi team, the Star Rovers, a bunch of deceased aliens, and a peak behind the creation source point, I really enjoyed this cosmic romp. Pretty much, if you attach Keith Giffen and JM DeMatteis to a project, I'm going to want to read it and I'm going to enjoy it. I think it's because they just think a little bit differently about things. So I have found some kindred spirits. The co-creators of Justice League International are quirky, a little odd and a whole heck of a lot funny!

This collection of stories were part of DC's New 52 experiment. Yet, the stories inside don't read like it. The book was completely insane, mostly because after being a billion years old and under the influence of the greedy energy of the orange lantern, Larfleeze is just about as completely nuts as one can be. 

There is quite a bit of violence. The level of blood red ink is almost equal to the orange that highlights literally every page. There's quite a few 'damns' and 'hells'. But I was more surprised by gratuitous use of the a-word; especially for a 2011 book that boasts a Teen rating on the cover.

As comical as this first volume was, it's not for kids. But it was definitely a book for me. There's a volume 2 out there and I really want to get my hands on it before I start to forget what happened already. 

Darn that getting old!

Worth Consuming!

Rating: 8 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment