Wednesday, December 11, 2019

Classic Toys from a Madman's Youth: Advent 2019 Day 11


For today's advent, we're continuing with the inflatables theme. Thanks to the popularity of Star Wars, Buck Rogers, and other sci-fi films featuring androids, anything involving robots was a big deal. So many kids wanted robots of their own that a number of companies starting producing inflatable remote-controlled robots! And I was one of them.



There were literally dozens of different RC robots on the market by 1979-80. The most popular was the Radio Shack exclusive Radio-Controlled Robot. Made by Tandy, this model came in red and later blue variants. Both used the same inflatable shape; standing at an impressive 3ft tall. The red model was basically an advertisement for radio shack, with the store logo on his chest. The blue one looked more stream-lined with a magnetic tape chest and the letters TC on his chest. 

As a result, many of us wanted a TC for Christmas. I remember a friend of mine or maybe a relative had this and I wanted one for myself. But I don't think I ever got one of these. But, I did however get an RC robot of my own.



The one I received was even taller than TC. It was called Starman80. He stood at 3 and a half feet tall and had a wheeled base that looked like actual robot feet! He also looked a bit more menacing than TC did. But that was cool for me as I thought that Starman looked a lot like the cult classic action figure (FAIL) of ROM Spaceknight. 

I remember how I got this gift. It was Christmas Eve at my Grandmama's. My parents and grandparents took me into the kitchen. At which point, my Grandmama opened up her walk-in pantry door and out rolled Starman80! 



It was so cool!

Sadly, that's about all I remember of this toy. But it was a gift that was often mentioned, especially around Christmas time. I wanted to share my Advent present for you, a commercial for Starman80. But I could not find one. So, I decided to share with you a video of another robot toy I got sometime for Christmas in the early 90s. I did not take this vid, but I hope you will enjoy!





No comments:

Post a Comment