Sunday, March 9, 2014

Baby, it's Cold Outside...


Life slowly seems to be getting back to normal around here. On Thursday night going into Friday, it began sleeting and snowing for what seems the umpteenth time. We woke up to no power and the sleet was turning into freezing rain. As my wife and I were getting dressed and headed off to work, we saw flashing of light at least twice- meaning transformer were blowing. Outside walking to our car, I counted no less than a dozen trees exploding in the far distance, losing the fight against the ever growing ice.


After work, I decided to make tracks back home to access that damage in the day light. It was really weird, once you go from Durham County into Orange County you went from soggy landscape to frigid tundra. Hundreds of trees were snapped like toothpicks, power lines were strewn across the road. Occasionally, you had power lines performing some weird yoga move as a tree was lying across a line that somehow had the strength to hold the massive plant dangling in the air.


When I got home, I counted 15 trees down in our yard. Thankfully, none of them hit our house. There were two "structure killers" that miraculously fell in bisecting angles between our house and the neighbor's house behind us. One of those trees had a root system deeper than I am tall, with tap roots 8 inches in diameter. When it fell, to the north, it uprooted the other tree and sent it tumbling to the south. Currently a bunch of pines are holding that tree up in a 45degree angle but it needs to get cut down soon!


Our house was without power for about 36 hours. It finally came back yesterday around 2:30pm. I did a terrible job on my diet, eating cookies, chips, and canned goods since most of the restaurants in our town were powerless as well.


Not having power meant I couldn't go online. So, I couldn't update my comic collection or my reading blog. That does not mean I didn't catch up on reading. If anything this power outage means I am even further behind in posting my reviews on this site. Plus, when you don't have power, you sleep a lot. When you don't have power or your C-Pap machine (I snore and have sleep apnea), you don't sleep well. So with the power back on, I caught up on good sleep.


But, I am back. Reviews should hopefully start back up tomorrow. Thankfully, I already had the day off tomorrow since my wife has an MRI tomorrow and needs a chauffeur.  I also have a lot of cleaning and laundry and dishes to catch up on too! So, stay tuned! I'll be up and writing in no time!

No comments:

Post a Comment