Monday, March 24, 2014

Captain Marvel, Volume 1: In Pursuit of Flight (Marvel NOW!)


Captain Marvel (2012-2014) #TP Vol 1

 

The character of Carol Danvers is one that’s grown on me. From her appearances on recent Marvel cartoons such as Super Hero Squad and The Avengers to the role she has played in storylines such as Civil War and New Avengers, I must say that she’s more than a pretty face. As a former Air force Colonel, she’s got the brass to put Nick Fury and Tony Stark in their place. Plus, she’s cleverly written and has evolved from being more than just a one dimensional background character in 80s issues of Avengers.

 

But I have got to be honest, despite my praise for the character, I really wouldn’t have any interest in reading this book if it wasn’t for two factors. #1) The book and volume 2 were available my local library and libraries = free reads. #2) If I wanted to read my libraries newest Avengers book, I’d have to read the first two volumes of this series. So, with those incentives, I early gave this series a try. Boy, am I glad I did.

 

In this series, Carol Danvers has decided to give up being Ms. Marvel and to adopt the title of Captain Marvel in honor of her late Kree friend, Mar-Vell- the original Marvel universe Capt. Marvel. Along the way, Carol’s aviation hero passes away and leaves her a plane that may or may not have broken a very important aviation record. When Carol pushes the plane to its limits she ends up time travelling.

 

During her trip in the past, she meets her hero as a young pilot trying to make her way into the early days of NASA’s Mercury program. But when Carol and her hero get sent to the point in time when Danvers first obtains the powers of Capt. Marvel, the new Captain and the young pilot must power for the right to become the first human/ Kree warrior. Could Carol’s “old friend” have been using her to take the mantle of Captain Marvel for herself? The fate of the universe rests on Carol Danver’s ability to remain Captain Marvel.

 

Again, I liked this series very much. But, having not been very familiar with Danvers in her exploits as Ms. Marvel in the series of the same name, I had a few questions. For instance, Carol is friends with an elderly lady battling some sort of cancer- what’s her deal? Why did Danvers get sent back to World War II Peru and end up fighting Imperial Japanese soldiers? I don’t remember Japan having conquered Peru in WWII. Lastly, I have a question about changing the time stream but to ask it would mean giving up a major spoiler. But, I do have that question.

 

The Carol Danvers Captain Marvel is awesome. She’s not my favorite- yet. But, I am very excited for the other volumes I have to read that focus on her. I expect them to be quite the read.

 

Worth Consuming.

 

Rating: 8 out of 10 stars.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment