Thursday, March 27, 2014

GI Joe: Retaliation #1 (Official Movie Prequel)



G.I. Joe: Retaliation Movie Prequel #1B
sketch variant cover


 

I got this series in November of 2012. I figured that I’d read these before going to the movie. Well, the movie came and went and I didn’t read these yet. So, I wanted for DVD and Redbox. The film hit Redbox and I still hadn’t read the books. So, I waited for HBO. But by the time GI Joe: Retaliation came on, I no longer subscribed to HBO. For a while, I just figured that I’d never get to this.

 

Well, just last night, the movie showed on EPIX- a movie channel I do get on Satellite. So, with it safely in my DVR, I figured now is the best time to finally read this prequel mini-series before watching the film.

 

The prequel takes place before events of the sequel- obviously. But I am not sure if this prequel occurs in between the first GI Joe movie and Retaliation or before. I say this because Gen. Hawk is drawn to look like actor Dennis Quaid, who played the character in the first film. But I thought Bruce Willis was tackling that part?! There’s a mysterious person that Hawk is talking to on the phone on a couple of pages- could that be Bruce Willis’ character? The “voice” on the line seems to have some sort of ulterior motive with Hawk, so is it a Juggler from the Pentagon? I’m not sure, but it will probably be revealed either by prequel’s end or in the sequel.

 

The first issue is about a mission involving Road Block, Snake Eyes, and Mainframe. Its Mainframe’s first ever mission as a Joe, but when he’s captured by a clan of Ninja (yes- that’s the plural of Ninja. Enjoy your vocab lesson for the day.) and the rest of the squad is ordered to retreat, Road Block takes it really hard. So hard he ends up in the brig after decking Hawk. It looks like a court martial for the soldier unless Snake Eyes plan for a rescue and redemption can save the day.

 

Since Snake Eyes doesn’t talk, and that plot ends the book on a cliff hanger of sorts, I won’t know what happens until issue 2. So far, the prequel is pretty good. I appreciate some of the subtle points I would’ve missed if not for reading the entire Marvel series. I like the first Joe movie, but I was very confused about things I thought I remember as a kid. With 155 issues of Joe under my belt, I can now pick up on those Easter eggs.

 

I can’t wait for issue 2. Hopefully, it will be full of more neat cameos, great action, and maybe a revelation as to just who Hawk was talking with on the phone.

 

Worth Consuming.

 

Rating: 9 out of 10 stars.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment