Tuesday, March 11, 2014

The Weird #4 (of 4)


Weird (1988) #4
 
Okay, spoilers aside for a moment. I had said in my review of issue one of this mini-series that I had never heard of the Weird before I came across these books. I’ve never seen him before and I have never seen him since. It doesn’t take a genius to figure out what happens at the end of this book, based on that knowledge. So, when I talk about what transpired, I hope you’ll understand that I’m really not giving anything away.
 
The Justice League must prevent the Weird from going critical and destroying the earth. But before they can do they, they’ve all got to team together to fight two of the Weird’s enslavers from his home dimension. Only, these hostile entities don’t want to leave and have taken up residence in two of earth’s mightiest beings in hopes of enslaving this dimension and maybe blowing up a few solar systems in the process.
 
I won’t mention who are used as vessels by these evil beings. I’ll try to keep that plotline from getting spoiled. However, I will say that the final fate of the Weird is heroic, tragic, and just plain heartbreaking. Thankfully, the Weird is allowed to tie-up a few loose ends with his son, who was introduced in issue 2. But just because there is a perfect moment in time between a father and his child that does not mean that there is a happy ending for this mini-series.
 
While I hate the way this series ended, I wouldn’t trade it. It’s a permanent part of my collection and I am proud to say that if you collect comics, then this series should become a part of yours too!
 
Fantastic writing and excellent art by the great Bernie Wrightson. I cannot recommend Wrightson enough. For more examples of his work, check out back issues of the 70s horror anthologies the House of Secrets and the House of Mystery. You’ll be glad you did!
 
Worth Consuming.
 
Rating: 9 out of 10 stars.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment